Common Beliefs - 8 August 2016

So today 2 guys, Jie Ming & Jeremy (I hope I spelt your name right) came up to me asked me whether I was a Christian. Told them I was a Catholic. Well, but they still sat down with me and talked to me about their faith in Jesus. Talk about Ecumenical discussion right there.

They showed me a chapter from 1 John 5: 11-12 which states:
"And this is the testimony: God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life."

Truly, that is one of the beliefs in the faith, and it's something I'm proud to say that we all, Catholics & Christians alike share.

Though, what is eternal life? They told me that just by believing in Christ, it brings us eternal life. My view however, came from the creed. And the fact that by His Death & Resurrection He has given us a clean slate.

"He will come again to judge the living & the dead, and His Kingdom will have no end."
Yes, he will come again in Glory, and whoever he judges worthy will enter into the Kingdom to enjoy Eternal Life.

And a chapter from 1 Corinthians (sadly I forgot baaaaaah) about the Holy Spirit. After I showed them Luke 4:18.

That conversation brought me back to the first time I was involved in at least a small effort for Christian Unity. The Night of Songs for Christian Unity in June 2012. I can never forget the unity all of us showed that night. The faith we all share in Christ is what brings us together, even though some differences that bring us apart. It is this faith which we are all known as Christians.

The conversation also made me recall this prayer which used to be my own personal favourite prayer for christian unity for a short period of time. The Dialogue of the two crosses. It goes like this:

1 Two crosses.., one laden,
2 one empty.
1 Two crosses that speak to us of tragedy
2 and triumph
1 of death
2 and of life,
1 of redemption
2 and of resurrection.
1 The crucifix.., the Catholic cross
2 The empty cross of the Reformation.
1 & 2 TWO CROSSES THAT TELL ONE STORY.
1 Mine is the cross of the Rosary and the Confessional.
2 Mine is the Old Rugged Cross of the Billy Graham Crusade.
1 & 2 TWO CROSSES THAT TELL ONE STORY.
1 My cross shows a Saviours love, a love which took him even to death for me and for all people.
2 My cross shows the Saviour s power over sin and death, and assures me of victory, available to all.
1 & 2 TWO CROSSES THAT TELL ONE STORY.
1 The crucified Jesus calls me to take up my cross daily, and follow him.
2 The risen Lord calls me to live a new kind of life, risen with him.
1 We must nail to the cross all our sinful ways.
2 We must look to new and creative purposes.
1 We must die to sin
2 and rise again to righteousness.
1 Every day we die a little
2 and every day we grow a little.
1 & 2 DEATH AND RESURRECTION ARE THE ESSENCE OF EVERYTHING.
1 Unless a wheat grain falls on the ground and dies, it remains only a single grain; but if it dies,
2 it yields a rich harvest.
1 The night is darkest
2 before the morn.
1 When the pain is sorest
2 the child is born.
1 & 2 ANYONE WHO WANTS TO SAVE HIS LIFE WILL LOSE IT;
1 but anyone who loses his life for my sake,
2 and for the sake of the Gospel, will save it.
1 I am the Good Shepherd: the good shepherd is one who lays down his life for his sheep.
2 I am the resurrection and I am life. If a man has faith in me, even though he die, he shall come to life.
1 Lord, your people are in pain and dying.
2 Lord, life must go on; it is your gift to us.
1 Crucified Lord, help us to enter into your sufferings, offering our own pain and sin to you.
2 Risen Lord, give us grace yo live in trust and hope, as new-born children.
1 Lord, redeem our world
2 by the power of your risen life.
1 & 2 AND DRAW US TOGETHER IN UNITY, SO THAT WE CAN SHOW YOU TO YOUR PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.
1 Let us proclaim the mystery of faith:
ALL: CHRIST HAS DIED! CHRIST IS RISEN! CHRIST WILL COME AGAIN!

Truly, the Christ we all believe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Common Beliefs 2 - 9 May 2017

A New Era - 1 June 2015

The Mass - 18 February 2016